Tuesday, March 10, 2009

IPOD Touch and the like…

Using devices such as Ipod Touch in the classroom can have benefits but may also carry with it the potential for other issues. Warlick discusses this in one of his blogs and I feel the same way about a device that can do ‘everything’, that’s a scary thought…kinda makes me think of a movie I recently watched about a computer that could no longer be controlled by personnel. I am trying to be open to the use of technology but I can’t help but wonder what’s going to happen when we begin to rely on technology for almost everything…I know that when the computer starts acting up I begin to panic since all the work I’ve done is stored in the memory of this computer. Although the work is also backed up to the office network I still feel a bit fearful that all the work I've done will be lost.

1 comment:

  1. My masters project is about getting children outside and involved in their communities. There is research that suggests this is crucial in terms of their development. Computers can be great tools, but may not encourage the same degree of diverse stimulation of the brain that comes from being outdoors. Richard Louv's book, "Last Child In the Woods," has some research in support of this.
    What does happen when we become dependent on technology, or more interested in the virtual than the real world?

    ReplyDelete