Monday, February 9, 2009

I recently read David Warlick’s blog on “Bloggers Who Help You Teach” (Feb 2nd) and although I agree that we need to learn how to use technology effectively and innovatively in the classroom there are time constraints in finding things that will keep students interesting and whether or not it is relevant to curriculum. I am not against utilizing technology but I suppose taking this class has really opened my eyes (really huge) to the vast amount of information on the web…it’s like watching everything in fast forward! I rarely have enough time with my hectic work schedule to explore all the different wikis, blogs, etc to find tools I can use even in this class but I suppose once I figure out how to navigate through this world known as Web 2.0 I will not be so distraught.

2 comments:

  1. Best advice - find one or two sites or teacher blogs to follow. Keep up with them and see what they are doing with their students. They will talk about the new tools and from that choose ones that you want to try.
    You are right - we only have so much time so plan to spend it wisely.
    Marnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sheryl,
    Thanks for your reply on my blog! I have to say that I really love the name you use: the important thing is not to stop questioning! That already indicates to me that you have a constructivist view in teaching. You want the students to learn through discovery, by you guiding them, asking them questions. This will allow them to find answers from what they already know and connect it to what they need to learn. This is the way they construct meaning! Awesome!
    I like the advice given by "search for understanding". However, I start like that and than one blog brings me to another or to a tool and another tool and another. Just reviewing my tweets on twitter can get me to see on average 30 different webpages a day!
    I have to be more vigilant about setting time aside away from the computer, or when doing work on the computer, shutting down social networks! That is not easy but I have to do it! Pretty much, this time has to scheduled in just like any other time. Not sure if that would help you. It sometimes helps me :)

    ReplyDelete