Monday, February 23, 2009

Mechanics...

I’ve become completely frustrated with using APA guidelines! Does all that stuff really matter? Why on earth do I need to italicize the sub titles and move them FLUSH left? I understand the issue with citing sources used in a paper but all the other little things seem absolutely senseless. Then I read Warlick’s blog about the controversies surrounding ICT in schools and whether students comprehend information they read on the net. Apparently, from studies that were conducted there is evidence showing that kids may be acquiring more skills through technology then they would reading print only. Here’s some of what I read in Warlick’s blog: “But all of this got me to thinking, back to the original question about reading on the web and reading in print — and I think it’s the period. According to WordNet at Princeton, a period is “a punctuation mark (.) placed at the end of a declarative sentence to indicate a full stop..” It is the end of the sentence. It’s all to be said. If you don’t get it, then go back and re-read the sentence. In a sense, to folks who have been raised on the Net, there are no periods. Certainly there are sentences and they end in periods. But you can always go further — deeper. You can dig, hyperlink, right-click and dictionary a single word or phrase. Under some circumstances, you can re-write the sentence, and ask for clarification from the original author.” If that’s the case then why do we bother making sure that every comma is in the right place? Or am I so confused that I can't recall why I started writing this blog entry...

1 comment:

  1. Hi Cheryl,
    You seem all caught up on the vocab...
    I can identify with some of the confusion, especially the part about referencing the original source when one has to go what seems like hours deep into a cyber trip once you start clicking.
    I have found that IGoogle really helps me to stay on task and find my way back esp. if I bookmark along the way.
    I started a wiki for this last class's info to keep parts of it
    , I hadn't really thought about copyright infringement once I started cutting and pasting and linking... yikes
    Post what you find out and if I find out I'll do likewise.
    Hope you are well, aside from the occasional momentary lapses in feelings of insanity...lol

    ReplyDelete